Friday, June 12, 2009

Old School

On the third day of my Hawaii trip and with commencement exercises pau (complete), it was time to visit with family. But it wasn't time to cook, so we brought in Chinese food--just the meat and vegetables--from Duk Kee Restaurant on Waialae Ave.

Obeying my genetic predispositions, I refuse to pay for white rice when it takes only a couple of minutes to wash the raw grains and turn on the rice cooker. Volunteering for the task, I inquired, "How many cups?"

"I measure by sight," Dad replied, handing me a regular stovepot.

It had been years, no, decades since I had made rice the old school way on the stove. Helpfully, Dad reminded me that I should place my forefinger perpendicular to the top of the rice and cover it with just enough water to reach the first joint. Then turn the stove to high, let the water boil down a little, then reduce the heat to medium. When the water disappears below the top layer, cover and lower the heat to warm. The rice should then steam at least for half an hour.

Long-forgotten childhood visions of rice pots boiling over and/or burning came flooding back. Don't these people know that the automatic rice cooker was one of the great inventions of the 20th century? Press the button and forget it.

Well, I suppose my kids don't understand why I like to write and get back cancelled checks, drive with a clutch, wear shirts that you have to iron, boil vegetables instead of microwave them, or file paper tax returns. By doing some things the way they've always been done, my life has the illusion of control.

By the way, the rice turned out fine. © 2009 Stephen Yuen

No comments: