Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cellphone Purchase Blocker

My AT&T Cingular bill was $10 higher, so I flipped through the 13 pages looking for any unfamiliar items. A text-messaging-advice subscription had been added without my knowledge. Customer service representative Jason Orlando immediately reversed the charge and cancelled the subscription.

Jason said that these companies sneakily add charges to your bill by getting you to reply to a text message, to download a "free" ringtone, or by using other subterfuges.

At my request he e-mailed a "purchase blocker", which requires the user to input a four-digit PIN before a purchase can be made. This PIN does not change the way I buy iPhone apps.

Sigh, another four numbers to remember or write down, but I suppose the hassle is worth the benefit of preventing more companies from reaching into my wallet.

No comments: