Friday, July 10, 2009

Tsukiji at Ala Moana Center

I hardly ever go to buffet restaurants anymore. They’re bad for both waistline and pocketbook and bring out my worst instincts, as I’ve noted before.

On my last day in Hawaii, however, I was invited to Tsukiji at Ala Moana. Someone else was paying, and it would be impolite to refuse an invitation.

I did well by bellying up to the bar only three times. The first time up I went for a cold plate of sushi, shellfish, and salad. The second round, not eaten with as much gusto as the first, was devoted to hot dishes of seafood, chicken, and beef. And the third, well, what would be a fine meal without dessert?

Tsukiji is a worthy addition to Hawaii’s growing list of upper-end all-you-can-eat restaurants. Its selections are not as extensive as Todai’s, but the quality is similar. The raw fish was fresh and moist, and hot dishes are rich, flavorful, and not overcooked. The quantity and variety were enough to sate the heartiest appetite.

No comments: