Saturday, June 05, 2010

Wealthier Than Most

I don't care what this guy's politics are --this one thing is enough to make me like him.
Uruguay's new president may be one of the world's poorest sitting leaders: Jose Mujica formally declared that his entire wealth amounts to a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. [bold added]

The 23-year-old car is valued at about $1,900. Since the former leftist guerrilla leader has no bank accounts or other assets and put his small flower farm in his wife's name, the car is all he owns.
When I finished school, my 1967 Beetle was the only asset on my balance sheet. The difference between Mr. Mujica and the younger me is that he is satisfied with what he has. Today I have amassed stuff to fill dozens of Beetles but am no happier. He is the better man.


Yes, I still have it.

No comments: