Monday, December 20, 2010

The Men Who Stare At Goats

I'm thinking of scaling back our Netflix subscription. Rental DVD envelopes sit unopened for months, but we do use Netflix instant viewing (wi-fi or data connection required, but we pay for those already) on our iPads, TVs, and laptops. We would save $12 per month if we switched to streaming-only service. Streaming has proved fairly reliable even with our comparatively slow DSL connection; the Internet hasn't lately stuttered or stopped.

Why don't we watch more DVDs? The monkey mind hesitates to commit to a show for two uninterrupted hours. The monkey mind would rather flit back and forth between saved shows on the DVR, hundreds of live channels, and the Netflix instant queue.

Before making the switch I've resolved to make some headway on the DVD pile. I paid for the service, and by golly I'm going to get my money's worth. (Why don't I feel that way about my sparsely used gym membership? 'Tis a wonder.)

One movie that I liked was 2009's The Men Who Stare At Goats. It's a fictionalized version of the book about the U.S. Government's forays into psychic warfare. The big name actors--George Clooney, Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges, and Ewan McGregor--are able to resist mugging for the camera while spouting preposterous lines.

Ewan McGregor is the reporter outsider who gradually discovers the secrets of the highly classified government program while George Clooney plays his guide. In order to wage psychic warfare one has to have the mind of a Jedi, says the Clooney character. It took me a while to move past the joke (Ewan McGregor plays Obi-Wan Kenobi in three Star Wars movies) that is repeated several times but eventually found enough in the movie to like. Mildly recommended.

No comments: