Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stranded Friend Scam

Yesterday I received this message from a former business colleague:
Sorry I didn't inform you about my trip in Cyprus for a program, I'm presently in Nicosia Cyprus, and am having some difficulties here because I got robbed on my way to the hotel where i lodged,i lost my Cell phone, my wallet where all my money was and other valuable things were kept, Please i want you to assist me with a loan of (2,500 Euros) to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home.

I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively,I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with,I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return back home, let me know if you can be of any help. I don't have a phone where i can be reached. Please let me know immediately.

Thanks
Robert
I was on my guard, but it did come directly from his e-mail address to mine. And Bob does travel quite a bit; the last I heard he was working for himself and didn't have an employer to bail him out. If he were indeed in those straits I would feel guilty if I didn't help him out. My reply, six hours later:
Bob, sorry so late to respond & sorry about your troubles. I can help USD 3,000. How can I get funds to you, perhaps pay off your hotel, buy plane ticket in your name, etc.?
Steve
Cell (XXX-XXX-XXXX)
Sent from my iPhone
His response came the next day:
Thank you so much for your concern towards my present situation, believe me this has been a very sad experience for me in a foreign land,i will explain things to you in detail when am back home. You can get the fund to me through any western union outlet around you with the information below.

Receiver's name: Robert _________
Address: 144 Limassol Avenue
city..Nicosia
zipcode..2015
Country.. Cyprus

I will need the Reference Number and others transfer details after you send the money.

Thanks
Robert
Bob would surely have inserted a personal touch in a message to someone who was about to lend him $3,000. There was only a small chance that this request was legit. My next message was short:
Bob, I will send the funds if you can answer one question: what is the name of the deal that we worked on while you were in Colorado and I was in SF?

Sent from my iPhone
The ensuing non-answer confirmed that the whole thing was a ruse.
Hey Steve, i never believe you can be asking me this sort of question at this period when i need your help and you know what i have been going through here. Kindly let me know if you don't want to help me any more as you promised.

Thanks

Robert
It turns out that the stranded-friend scam has been going on for at least two years. It had elements that lent plausibility: the hoaxer knew my name, Bob's name, and our e-mail addresses. Perhaps worse than other scams that prey on greed, its victims are acting on their desire to help an acquaintance.

I am attempting to reconnect with Bob to let him know that his e-mail account has been compromised. There's little chance that the culprits will be caught.

No comments: