Monday, February 14, 2011

Keen for Korean

Fried oyster plate and Gina's special. Total cost=$18.25

When I'm keen for good, cheap Korean I head for Gina's near Kaimuki High School. The fare is plentiful, fresh, and cheap; the most expensive plate lunch, the Gina's Special, costs $8.95. Accompanying the meat entree and rice are up to four vegetable selections. I'm particularly "ono" (hungry) for the local water cress that I grew up with. It's crisper and sharper than the leafy, limp version one finds in California markets.

I ordered the Gina's Special and a fried oyster plate that wasn't on the regular menu. The lady at the counter piled on the kim chee, bean sprouts, water cress, and taegu (salted codfish). It was more than enough for the three of us, and the leftovers provided lunch the next day.

I'll probably return to Gina's and grab a plate to take with me on the plane. If I were a thoughtful person, I would refrain from ordering the odoriferous kim chee in order not to torment my fellow passengers. Well, there's a limit to thoughtfulness. I'll never see those people again, and, after our trip back, they'll say that never is too soon.

No comments: