Monday, January 02, 2012

No Worries

For the past several Christmases I've left a bottle of scotch on the doorstep of an 80+-year-old gentlemen with whom I've done business. His nephew called (I don't know about you, but whenever caller ID reveals a call to be from the relative of an elderly person, I answer with trepidation) to say that J has been having health problems and has been staying in an assisted living facility for several months.

However, the good news is that J. has recovered sufficiently to move back home. He also wanted to thank me for the bottle.

Me: "I guess scotch wasn't a good idea, given his health."

Nephew: "Are you kidding? It's the best gift you could have given him. He and I have already had a taste." Yes, that's the J I've always known.

Comments: 1) It's often surprising (good or bad) how a gift will be received; 2) I hope I live long enough so that I'll enjoy certain activities without caring about their effect on my health.

No comments: