Wednesday, January 09, 2013

It Creeps Up on You

This week I went in for my annual physical, postponed from November when I had to tend to a busted water heater.

The fasting blood glucose levels were measured at 105 mg/dL, which is "prediabetic" according to the American Diabetes Association. If the reading were 126 or higher, I would be considered to have diabetes.

The cholesterol numbers (total of 164 mg/dL) were in the safe zone (below 200), thanks to 10 mg of atorvastatin (Lipitor) that I take every night. However, triglycerides of 194 mg/dL were "borderline high", with "high" being in the range of 200-499.

Not surprisingly, the doctor recommended that I lose weight. It creeps up on you--eating the wrong and too much food, lack of exercise and sleep, stress--I thought I was doing well to keep the weight gain after I started working to under a pound a year. Of course, school was in the 1970's....

No comments: