Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Cuspidor Bites the Dust

The spit bowl, aka dental cuspidor
When I sat down in the dentist's chair, the spit bowl was gone. The technician explained that a heavy patient had broken it when he used it as support rising from the chair.

I expectorated into the proferred suction hose while Stan explained that the $4,000(!) replacement cost of the spit bowl would be better allocated to newer technology.

Of course, I agreed.....as I always do with the man who held a sharp instrument in my mouth.

Too much information? the full panel
He took a full panel of X-rays. With the money saved from not replacing the cuspidor Stan was able to buy a late-model X-ray system, which emits much less radiation than machines of yore. Okay, despite fond childhood memories of the water going round and round, I don't miss the spit bowl that much.

The technician said that I had good bones and gums. Not the highest compliment I've ever received, but these days you take them whenever you can get them. © 2013 Stephen Yuen

No comments: