Friday, November 01, 2013

It's Free at Last

Four years after the last one (the gastroenterologist recommended a three-year interval),  I scheduled a colonoscopy for December. Since we're staying with our current insurance carrier, there's little point in waiting until next year in the hopes of getting a better deal.

Obamacare does promise to save some money on colonoscopies, versus private plans:
In 2014, insurance providers will be forced to (1) cover a screening colonoscopy at 100% and (2) classify the colonoscopy as screening even if polyps are found.
As the article points out, however, many aspects of colonoscopy reimbursements are unclear, like the liquids I'm not supposed to drink 24 hours before. This year I know what I'll be paying, and I know what services I'm getting, so I may as well get it over with.

Preparation for the procedure involves drinking a prescription medicine that "cleans your colon by causing you to have diarrhea" (the drug company didn't run the instructions past marketing, obviously). Hey, another untouted benefit of Obamacare: the diarrhea is free. © 2013 Stephen Yuen

No comments: