Sunday, November 16, 2014

I Found the Room

The building where we were married 39 years ago looks much the same though most of the people are different. The rector has changed at least seven times; most priests come from the Mainland, and it's rare for someone who's not born here--and his or her spouse--to embrace a long-term commitment to the Islands. Restless rectors are not a reflection on this particular church; the phenomenon is common to religious organizations in Hawaii. If they want stability, it's usually best to hire a local boy or girl.

As a reward for chauffeuring her to church, my relative treated me to lunch at Big City Diner, where I scarfed down the kimchi fried rice. I didn't think that I could finish the generous serving, but it had been eight years since my last plate, and somehow I found the room.

No comments: