Wednesday, May 13, 2015

One-Pot Lap Cheong

Sausages and other dried meats at the Mow Lee Shing Kee
Company, Commercial St., San Francisco (SF Gate photo)
Occasionally I hanker for lap cheong, aka Chinese sausage. Lap cheong is sweet and salty; when raw, its density and dryness are about the same as salami.

I prefer to plump the sausages via steaming in the rice cooker, an efficient one-pot method if one is preparing rice as well.

The best lap cheong is purchased fresh from SF Chinatown shops, but imported sausages from Seattle or LA can be purchased at supermarkets throughout the Bay Area.

I've found the packaged imports to be too oily for my taste, however, and so place a small dish in the cooker to catch the liquids. (Locally made, less greasy lap cheong can be laid directly on top of the rice.)

Today I sliced the sausages for inclusion in another dish, but sausage and rice by themselves make for a hearty meal. Enjoy!

No comments: