Sunday, January 10, 2016

Merilyn Vosburg

Merilyn Vosburg (1924-2015) was one of the founding members of our 41-year-old Episcopal parish. A “cradle” Episcopalian from the Midwest and New York, Merilyn was an active participant in every aspect of the church's life, from Vestry to coffee hour, from acolyte training to community service. Her first love was the Altar Guild,
whose ministry is to care for the altar, vestments, vessels, and altar linens of the parish...prepare the sanctuary for services, and decorat[e]..the sanctuary of the parish with flowers.
Episcopal liturgy is at times grand and other times modest, and Merilyn ran the Altar Guild with exacting precision appropriate to the occasion. Every Sunday, kneeling and standing with perfect posture, she could be found near the front pew on the left. She accepted the many changes that she saw in the Church during her lifetime but loved the traditional liturgy.

The congregation read aloud the 23rd Psalm, King James Version, at her memorial service this week. Sometimes you can't improve on the old ways.

Psalm 23: KJVPsalm 23: NIV
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leadeth me beside the still waters.He leads me beside quiet waters,
He restoreth my soul;He refreshes my soul.
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his Name's sake.He guides me along the right paths
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of deathEven though I walk through the darkest valley
I will fear no evil;I will fear no evil,
For thou art with me;For you are with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
Thou anointest my head with oilYou anoint my head with oil;
My cup runneth over.My cup overflows
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the House of the Lord for ever.And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments: