Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Too Much Marketing

(This post is tangentially related to yesterday's about password security.)

A letter from an alumni association encouraged me to sign up for a "free guide" to Long-Term Care Insurance, a subject that I've been meaning to investigate.

I was primed to accept when I saw the quid for the quo: my spouse's and my own birth date, my phone number(s), and e-mail (they already have my name and address).

That's too much information that will be forwarded to an insurance company database.

My former school, which has a multi-billion-dollar endowment and doesn't need this "partnership", should be careful how it chooses its "friends" (quote from the letter), especially if even a few alumni are aggravated enough to change their donation plans.

No comments: