Sunday, September 18, 2016

Children of the Great Commission


There's a bit less fervor--and certitude--on the faces of these teachers than were on the disciples' in the first Great Commission, but hey, just showing up on Sunday mornings is, these days, an above-average display of motivation. During the commissioning ceremony there were prayers and promises made to set a good example for the children.

Few of the teachers will see the ultimate results of their work, as these fruits can take decades to ripen.

As for me, in the mind's eye I see Warren, Dougie, Gerard, Velma, Alan, and Milton coloring Bible stories in Sunday School. A few years later we all would dress up for Confirmation and become full-fledged members of the church at the grand age of 12.

I haven't seen some of my classmates for over 40 years, yet I remember them more clearly than business colleagues who I spent every day with.
“We never know which lives we influence, or when, or why.” ― Stephen King

No comments: