Friday, August 24, 2007

Not Quite As Remembered

Do you know the words to On Top of Old Smokey? It’s been decades since I last sang it, and my memory of the lyrics is mashed with spoof versions that proliferated during the 60’s and 70’s. When we dropped the CD into the player, we expected another cheerful sing-a-long song, but be warned—it’s sure to put a damper on any kids’ party!
On top of Old Smokey
All covered with snow
I lost my true lover
From courting to slow

For courting’s a pleasure
And parting is grief
And a false-hearted lover
Is worse than a thief

A thief will just rob you
And take all you have
But a false-hearted lover
Leads you straight to the grave

The grave will decay you
And turn you to dust
Not a boy in a hundred
That a poor girl can trust

They’ll hug you and kiss you
And tell you more lies
Than crossties on a railroad
Or stars in the sky

Some come all ye young maidens
Come and listen to me
Never place your affections
In a green willow tree

For the leaves they will wither
And the roots they will die
And you’ll be forsaken
You’ll never know why

On top of Old Smokey
All covered with snow
I lost my true lover
Come a-courting too slow

No comments: