Monday, July 09, 2012

MacBook Power Cord

Free replacement cords from the Apple Store.
The MacBook power cord is, like other Steve Jobs inventions, cooler, more complicated, and more expensive than its PC counterparts. The cord connects to the computer magnetically so that an errant footstep would avoid the tripping and tearing problems found with PC power cords.

The downside is that the MacBook power cord is delicate. It has a mini-circuit board and LED that are susceptible to damage from constant stuffing into computer bags.

In our household we have three MacBooks and four power cords, two of them broken. I didn't want to spend $80 buying another one, and a fix would require tools and knowledge beyond the capabilities of your humble servant

But the Internet is a wonderful disseminator of knowledge. In a settlement of a class action lawsuit late last year Apple agreed to replace non-working power cords. I promptly made an appointment at the local Apple store.

The service rep asked for the serial number of my MacBook (just showing him the laptop was good enough) in order--I'm guessing--to make sure I wasn't a junk dealer trying to get free replacements for damaged parts. The process took about ten minutes, and I left with two new power cords.

This is the only material benefit I've ever received from a class action lawsuit, so, if only for a little while, I was grateful to the plaintiffs' bar. I was also, of course, happy with how the problem was resolved.

I promised to return when the next new, amazing, exciting shiny object is announced. One thing is certain: it'll cost more than $80.

No comments: