Sunday, May 05, 2013

Technology Not Settled

Devices that I use now:
  • iPhone 5 (2012)
  • iPad 2 (2011)
  • MacBook Pro (2009)
  • Gateway SX - Windows 7 (2008)
  • Dell Vostro - Windows XP (2007)

    My mobile devices are fairly up to date, but the desktop and laptop machines are getting long in the tooth. WSJ tech reviewer Walt Mossberg surveyed the computer landscape and advises:
    Alas, I'm sorry to report, it's still pretty confusing and frustrating to buy a new laptop....

    For a high-quality, traditional laptop without a touch screen, you can't do much better than a MacBook Air, if you have at least $999 to spend. On the Windows side, stick with touch screens and be prepared to spend nearly as much, or even a bit more. But if you can wait, come back in the fall.
    Good advice. I've found that with computer purchases it's always better to wait as long as one can before upgrading. Also, the technology should be well enough settled so that the purchase will not be regretted two years later. I'll hold off opening my wallet. © 2013 Stephen Yuen
  • No comments: