Thursday, May 02, 2013

I Did Know Jack

Jack Burleson (1922-2013)
The last time I saw Jack he asked about the Cambodian school that the church had been supporting. He knew of the perfect candidate--a relative then living in Thailand--to teach the kids English. Although nothing came of his effort--the young lady is now teaching in the Philippines--this was a perfect example of my encounters with Jack over the years. He was always asking how to help, he was always full of ideas, and he was always trying to make connections between people.

Jack's short obituary is typical of other members of the greatest generation: World War II vet, family man, joiner of community organizations. What it doesn't capture is his perseverance in solving problems, making decisions, and not looking back. He could no longer manage his business, so he sold it. He could no longer live alone without help, so he sold his house and moved to an assisted-care facility a few months ago. His friends say that the move inspired him to start another business.

The last time I saw Jack he said that I should visit him in Redwood City. It's a great place, he said, with lots of things to do. But I didn't go to see him, now I never will, and it's my loss. R.I.P.

No comments: