Monday, December 02, 2013

The Blacklist

We are fans of the Blacklist, NBC's hit new series about a criminal mastermind who begins to help the FBI capture other master criminals on "the blacklist." What is Raymond Reddington's motivation? Why will he go to any length to protect junior agent Elizabeth Keen, even risking his own life (he denies being her father)?

The Blacklist is filled with violence, death, suspense, and mystery about the background and motivations of each major character. But what makes it must-see TV is James Spader, who chews the scenery as Reddington. In the direst situations he always seems to be in control.

In last week's episode, surrounded by heavily armed attackers, the weaponless Reddington comforts a grievously wounded agent with his reasons for living. His soliloquy is a quiet moment in a loud, frenetic hour of action.
Have you ever sailed across an ocean, Donald? On a sailboat surrounded by sea with no end in sight? Without even the possibility of sighting land for days to come? To stand at the helm of your destiny...I want that one more time.

I want to be in Piazza del Campo in Siena, to feel the surge of ten racehorses go thundering by. I want another meal in Paris at L'Ambroisie in the Place des Vosges. I want another bottle of wine, and then another. I want the warmth of a woman in a cool set of sheets. One more night of jazz at the Vanguard. I want to stand on summits and smoke Cubans and feel the sun on my face as long as I can. [closes eyes, feeling the sun]

Walk on the wall again. Climb the tower, ride the river, stare at the frescoes. I want to sit in the garden and read one more good book. Most of all, I want to sleep. I want to sleep like I slept when I was a boy. Give me that, just...one time.
Ray Reddington will have more time to experience those pleasures. The Blacklist has been renewed for the 2014-2015 season.

No comments: