Monday, April 28, 2014

On the Meanest Sin in the Book

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins. Former Scottish bishop Richard Holloway calls it "the meanest sin in the book":
Every other sin offers some gratification, if only in its early stages, but envy is an empty and desolating experience from beginning to end.
Envy poisons our relations because it doesn't allow us to rejoice unreservedly in others' good fortunes. Ten years ago I wrote how envy dissipated once I became aware of the troubles that afflicted those whom I was envious of. Even the most successful
still sojourn through the vale of tears. I cannot begrudge others their happiness; indeed, I rejoice and cheer them on.
In ABC's Once Upon a Time the Wicked Witch from the Land of Oz has turned
permanently green from childhood envy of her sister.

No comments: