Monday, December 29, 2014

Beyond My Ken

The air purifier (bottom) helps keep
the furnace dust-free.
At the first anniversary of our new furnace I ordered filters for the air purifier but had difficulty opening the filter housing. That was a good excuse to spend $125 for a one-year checkup.

I like to watch the professionals do the initial maintenance to see how much of it I can do myself. In the case of furnace maintenance the answer was disappointing: not much. Filter and UV-light-bulb replacement was simple enough, but testing the gas pressure and the circuit boards required equipment and knowledge that was beyond my ken. Test results, BTW, were fine.

Jay cut a piece of wood that was blocking access to the filter. He was done in an hour. We'll call him again next year, money well spent for peace of mind.

No comments: