Thursday, July 12, 2018

Aloha Means Let's Eat

Shirokiya: crowded at 2 p.m. Thursday
After my first day on Oahu I realized that I should have lost some weight to prepare for the trip.

Driving in from HNL, we stopped at the new Shirokiya Japan Village Walk in the Ala Moana Shopping Center. It was a Japanese cornucopia: sushi or udon, ramen or tempura, teriyaki or karaage, mochi or custard? I settled on pork ramen, higher-quality fare and 50 times more expensive than the dried instant version that I scarfed in college.



Across the street from our hotel, quirkily named the Laylow, Autograph Collection, was Marukame Udon. one of the most popular restaurants in Honolulu. It would be a one-hour wait for a table (no reservations), so we'll probably pass this go-round. So much food, so little time.

No comments: