Friday, July 13, 2018

Gone Big Time

Kinda how I remembered it. (Liliha Bakery website)
The original Liliha Bakery is down the hill from where I used to live with my grandparents---who actually preferred pastry and pies near my grand-aunt's place in Kapahulu. However, those shops and Aunt Bertha's house are all gone now (except for Leonard's Bakery of malasada fame).

During my return trips I would stop by Liliha Bakery to pick up their creamy guava and haupia (coconut) cakes.

Liliha Bakery breakfast of fried rice, pork belly, and eggs
The crowded parking lot in the 80's and 90's was evidence that the independent bakery would be a survivor against much larger operations. In 2014 the Liliha Bakery opened a restaurant-bakeshop on the Nimitz Highway on the way to the airport. Serving Island-themed dishes, the restaurant has proved popular with the locals. Its proximity to Honolulu's industrial parks and retail stores (Home Depot, Best Buy, Costco) ensured its success.

We don't have to worry about Liliha Bakery surviving; they've gone big time.

No comments: