Monday, July 16, 2018

Matsumoto’s Shave Ice

To cleanse one’s palate from the taste of garlicky North-Shore shrimp, Matsumoto’s shave ice is a popular choice, especially on a hot, humid day. One of our party insisted on spending $5 for a bowl of frozen sugar water, so I walked around Haleiwa while he waited in line. Matsumoto’s is an example of how the Internet can turn a small business’ product into a must-have; there are many other shaved-ice places where the wait is much shorter or non-existent.

Heck, one is a few blocks from my parent’s house, not a one-hour drive to Haleiwa.

Another example of cashing in on exaggerated popularity: Matsumoto’s Hello Kitty T-shirt for toddlers is priced at $20. Of course, as instructed, I bought one for my grand-niece. She’s four and loves “Hello Kitty”, which overrides any objection. You don’t get to be my age without learning when to pick your battles.

No comments: