Saturday, March 02, 2019

In Our Favor

Three months ago I said that the office of the Sons and Daughters of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team was a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

I'm glad I had the chance to peruse the exhibit leisurely that December night, because the fencing no longer allows the passerby to do so.

Tents outside the neighborhood library
Because of our proximity to downtown Honolulu and Waikiki, the real estate values for small, ramshackle properties approach seven figures. Yet the rats, the homeless encampments, the cars crammed onto sidewalks, and paucity of lighting have made the streets a lot meaner than 30 years ago.

Unlike San Francisco I haven't seen drug paraphernalia and human waste on the sidewalks, so at least we've got that in our favor.

A half-block from Dad's house this tent is much larger than the one I saw in December. He must have added on; I wonder if he got a permit?

No comments: