Sunday, November 10, 2019

Sometimes the Best Does Happen

Lutherans (Jerry) and Episcopalians (Diane) can get along.
Flying in late last night, I didn't have time to make anything for the Home and Hope families, so I bought the precooked mashed potatoes, rotisserie chicken, and dessert macaroons at Costco. Anyway, that's my excuse story, and I'm sticking to it.

Diane slow-cooked a pork roast, seasoned with lemon and garlic. Accompanied by the mashed potatoes and gravy, the roast was the perfect comfort food on a chilly fall night. We put on a pot, and the female heads of household spent an hour socializing over cookies, macaroons, and coffee.

Everyone was in bed by ten, and all were out the door by 6:15 the next morning without our having to roust them. My overnight partner, Hank, and I could scarcely believe our good fortune. Being done by 6:30 instead of the usual 7:30 was a first.

Expect the worst while hoping for the best is a sound rule, but sometimes the best does happen.

No comments: