Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Election Equanimity

Turnout across the country appeared to be high before the polls close, and media of all stripes have said that it's the most important election in our lifetime.

But I've been hearing that overheated proclamation for every Presidential election in 30 years, and somehow the country has survived.

Because of Joe Biden's double-digit lead in the polls, I've been mentally preparing for his Presidency. My finances should improve: 1) Better relations with China should pop the stock market; 2) A Blue Wave election would restore unlimited State Tax deductions, which would lower my Federal income taxes by $thousands; 3) A COVID-19 aid package would include aid to profligate States, lessening the chance of California enacting novel schemes like the wealth tax. All of these benefits would come at a long-term price, which may not have to be paid until after I'm dead and gone.

A Trump victory would be more in accord with my philosophical leaning against cancel culture and the elevation of group politics over individual rights. I also expect some restoration of respect for the property of others.

So I'm optimistic about tomorrow---that's my attitude and I'm sticking to it.

The air was cool, and the lagoon shimmered in the sun.

No comments: