Saturday, July 24, 2021

Laughing Because It's The Dodgers

It's only a strike if the umpire says it is.
Whenever I fancy myself to be an ethical person, something comes along to remind me that I still have work to do.

On Thursday night the Dodgers were beating the Giants, 3-2, in the top of the 9th inning at Dodger Stadium. The Giants had the bases loaded and two outs, and Darin Ruf had a full count of three balls and two strikes.

The Dodgers thought Ruf swung and missed on the next pitch and that the game was over. Instead the umpires called a ball and a checked swing, and the walk forced in the tying run. Photographs showed that Ruf had broken his wrists, and my personal weakness stood revealed: I immediately cheered the umpires' mistake.

What was even more delicious is that the reprieve not only tied the game, but the Giants ending up winning with a score of 5-3. The fulminations by the Dodgers and their fans on social media made me laugh even harder.

I suppose I'll have to go to church tomorrow and ask forgiveness for my sins. Meanwhile, that's 24 hours from now and I'm still smiling.

No comments: