Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Sometimes the Best Vacations Aren't the Relaxing Ones

2020 docs filed away
Returning from the Islands last week, I reflected: "It's been a wonderful trip, quiet at the end with major objectives accomplished."

First and most importantly, we celebrated Mom's birthday.

Second, I finished her 2020 tax returns (yes, extensions were filed timely.) They weren't that simple; she's got a small QBI business that her sons take care of.

The work-ups for the extensions were reasonably close, but there were still a few missing documents that I thankfully found at the house.

Left: bitter melon with chicken
Right: deboned oxtail w/ peanuts
Mom signed the returns, but they won't be mailed until the IRS confirms that it's processed the 2019 return and mailed the refund. We can't have the 2020 documents crossing those of 2019 and confusing the IRS even more.

The food at the assisted-living facility is healthy and usually tasty, but Mom yearns for Island favorites. Every afternoon I would drop off something that could be added to dinner or the afternoon snack. Not visiting Mom was not an option if one hopes to lead a life of few regrets.

Besides, while buying food for Mom I got to order dinner for myself.

I went to the Golden Eagle Restaurant thrice in ten days. It's within walking distance of the house.

No comments: