Friday, August 06, 2021

Jury Duty - the Odds (Against) Were in My Favor

Jail people who don't show up for jury duty
but let the smash-and-grabbers go. An
idle threat, so don't make it. It's irritating.
Playing the odds, I've never deferred jury duty. Sure, there's a slight risk of work or personal-calendar juggling if I had to serve (never had to, btw), but it's better to get it over with now than to be called again in six months when a real crisis may have erupted.

With the delta variant striking fear and re-masking in the Bay Area, I felt even more confident that the criminal-justice community wouldn't ask us--or more importantly, themselves--to report to the Redwood City courthouse for Justice kabuki. Besides, they're hardly jailing anyone unless somebody's been killed (ok, I know am exaggerating).

On Wednesday night, the voice message said, as expected, that I didn't have to report on Thursday morning.

However, I had to call in on Thursday after 11:15 a.m. just in case we had to report on short notice, which meant in 1½ hours. After calling dutifully, again as expected, the message was
Jurors in group number 1005 on Thursday August 5, 2021 is [sic] not required to report for jury services as summoned. You are now excused and will be eligible to serve again in 12 months.
From 2017: bonding with fellow citizens in the waiting room.
Though they could call again next year, lately the summons has been mailed every two years. If and when I make it to age 70, I can be excused for a medical condition without a doctor's note:
There is no age exemption for jury service. If you are 70 years of age or older, the California Rules of Court allow you to be excused due to a medical condition without a doctor’s note. You must inform the court that you are not able to serve.
Sorry, your Honor, I'm hard of hearing and can barely hear what's going on, and even if I did, I can't remember what was said, just ask my wife....I can't sit still, my lumbago's acting up all the time, and I have to go to the bathroom a lot...what was your question again?

No comments: