Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Happy New Year

(Illustration from Yale-China)
Today is the beginning of the lunar new year, the Year of the Tiger according to the Chinese Zodiac.

Ever since I was a toddler in Territorial Hawaii, adult relatives would give me red envelopes on Chinese New Year. Finding a dime inside was pretty good, and when I got a quarter--you could buy two DC comics plus five Bazooka bubble gums--I was rolling in it like Scrooge McDuck. A rich grand-uncle on my mother's side would give out one dollar bills, but I didn't get to go to his house often.

Now I'm the one that has to pass out the red paper, so Chinese New Year isn't as much fun. Nevertheless, subscribing to both the Gregorian and lunisolar calendars has its advantages. One gets to enjoy two New Year feasts, but more importantly one gets a chance to start again on resolutions that were already broken in January.

In other words we get a mulligan. Speaking of golf and tigers, it looks like an auspicious year for Tiger Woods to be making a comeback after his excellent showing in the PNC tournament in December.

Happy New Year (again)!

No comments: