Tuesday, June 07, 2022

As I Perused the Voter Information Guide

Going through the CA Voter Information Guide, I came across this gem (right) of a statement from a gubernatorial candidate who I never heard of.

Should I reward such juvenile expression with a click to her website? Yes.

Mariana Dawson has an interesting grab bag of policies, both left (rent freeze, student loan relief, nuclear-free California) and right (reinstate death penalty, pro gun rights, anti-Critical Race Theory).

In a May 27th announcement she announced that she's no longer a candidate:
I'm officially ending my campaign for the 2022 Governor's race, and refocusing on running next year in a recall election.

We're exiting this race because my main signature gatherer went rogue and demanded I support the Republican party.

I refused.

“F all politicians” includes their political parties, whether it’s the Democratic Party or Republican Party. I want no part of their political civil war.
Elsewhere on her website she says she's not a millionaire, and she's not taking donations. You may have observed that she's expecting a recall election next year, at which point she'll run for governor!

Well, first impressions can be wrong. She's far from the worst candidate we've ever seen.

Note: this is an example of why I don't do early voting. Late-breaking developments, such as a candidate's withdrawal, could change one's decision. I'll head down to the Recreation Center and cast my ballot this afternoon.

No comments: