Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Not Everything is Fake

A teacher and her daughter in need(?)
I thought that this was a scam immediately after reading it on Nextdoor.
I need your help. I am a [name of school withheld] teacher and a single mom leaving an unhealthy relationship. I have no family in the area, both of my parents are drug addicts with mental health problems, and I’m all I’ve got.

I came to Belmont with my now-ex from across the country 6 years ago, and I can’t afford to live here on my own. I need help affording the move to Richmond, VA. I’m so close to my goal. It won’t cover all of the costs, but it sure will put a dent in them. My daughter and I would be grateful for any help you can provide. Thank you so much!
The post ended with a link to a GoFundMe account.

Apparently, the message is not fake because there are real people who know this teacher and who have been on Nextdoor for years, according to their postings. A couple examples of their responses:
Ms. --- We fondly remember you teaching our kid, and we are so sorry to hear about this situation. Donating to help, and wishing you all the best. Please let us know if we can help in any other way.

Done! You were wonderful teaching my son last year in hybrid kindergarten (Nathan F) and I’m so sorry you are going through all this. Good luck with the move!!

Wait a minute.... you are moving? But I still have another son to go through [name of school], I was hoping he would be in your class at some point... 😕
The teacher answered each message and she herself has been on Nextdoor for 19 months.

It's still possible that this is a scam: she could have set up fake "parents" over the years, or she could be lying about the reasons for getting out of town. Furthermore, what's she got going in Richmond, VA, because it's certainly not family. But these possibilities are unlikely, since such long-term con skills would seek a bigger payoff.

As of this writing, the GoFundMe account has raised $11,660, overachieving its target of $10,000.

As for me.....“I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” --Mark 9:24

No comments: