Saturday, October 09, 2004

P.O. on Friday

After a long liquid evening Thursday, an informal cocktail party with people whom I didn't have to be on my best behavior, I showed up at the office a little late. It was quiet, with only four others on my side of the building, so I was able to knock off a couple of projects by 1 o'clock, after which I strolled to the post office at One Embarcadero Center to mail an overnight package to a friend.

There were over a dozen people in front of me and only two windows open, and the customers through their questions ("Is that the only box you have?" "Why can't you deliver it on Columbus Day?") seemed oblivious to the communal desire to keep the line moving.

Recognizing in myself the growing indicators of irritation--the more rapid breathing, the throbbing in my temples--I walked away from the stress to the Federal Express outlet three blocks away and willingly paid double the Post Office tariff. There was no waiting: the rush at FedEx doesn't normally start until after 4:30 p.m. And I could rest easy on Friday night, because I knew the package would get there on Saturday.

A quiet lunch, then back to the office to watch the Snowbirds and pack up for the weekend.

The Snowbirds, (above Coit Tower in the photo)Canada's elite flying squad, are here for Fleet Week.

No comments: