Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Year of the Ox

The Lunar New Year allows us to have another fresh start. Perhaps we have already backslid on the resolutions made on January 1st. The biculturals can reboot.

The person in charge of our household has become more traditional. We spent the weekend cleaning the house, a new year's custom that we had only spottily observed. Last night she and I inserted crisp folding money into red envelopes for the younger unmarried people (it seems to me that they're the lucky ones who should be giving me money but I'm not one to question authority) whom we will encounter today.

Two close family members were born during the Year of the Ox, meaning that their age on their next birthday will be evenly divisible by 12. (Because neither will turn 60, it's not a milestone birthday in Western eyes.) Both are sturdy, reliable individuals and occasionally stubborn like their animal namesake.

I've always been skeptical about the Chinese Zodiac because my life turned out to be the opposite as my sign would predict:
The Dragon is omnipotent. They are flamboyant, attractive and full of vitality and strength....It would be right to say that people born in the year of the dragon have a natural charisma and are certainly gifted with power and luck.
Well, there's still time to change and fulfill our promise. Happy New Year!

No comments: