Saturday, December 01, 2012

High School News

Sandwiched between news about the girls' volleyball team and an L.A. luau, the high school's newsletter has an article about an alumnus who went into politics. I'm glad they wrote about him---else, who would have known?

With a feeling of nostalgia I read about the preparation for the annual February Carnival (where rides cost ten times the 25 cents I used to pay), the items on sale at the Bookstore (where I got my first job at the age of 11 and learned how to count back change instead of having it computed by an electronic cash register), and what's going on with my classmates' kids and grandkids.

I still send the school a (small) check every year and get an acknowledgment back from J. When I saw him at the last big reunion, he appeared relaxed. The worry lines are less pronounced, and he's wearing the mantle of leadership well.

The institution is prospering: a massive building program has transformed the campus, and its academic and athletic programs are highly regarded. When J. retires in a few years, he'll leave a legacy that anyone would be proud to have. That year's reunion I'll be sure to attend. © 2012 Stephen Yuen

No comments: