Friday, March 29, 2013

Hope in March

Kylie, by your author
Our first Home and Hope session for the year had been scheduled for next month, but two young families needed immediate assistance.

Helena, the coordinator at the Lutheran church, volunteered to be the overnight supervisor for several days straight, sleeping on an air mattress. With other churches stretched thin during Holy Week, her example "guilted" us into volunteering.

Kay and several others made the food, while I again brought ice cream.


Your author, by Kylie
Dinner table conversation is always kept light; we never discuss personal matters---work and family history---unless the guests want to talk about them. Comments about kids and their education are usually welcome, and everyone has an opinion about my home state of Hawaii.

I took some photos for the archives, and 3-year-old Kylie grabbed the camera and started snapping away. When I got up to leave, she insisted that I help decorate some Easter egg shells. It's been half a century since I last did crafts, but when Kylie (and Helena) ask if I could do something, it's hard to say no. © 2013 Stephen Yuen

No comments: