Wednesday, May 07, 2014

A Little Extra Effort

Some of our regular volunteers were away, so I decided to put a little extra effort into dinner. I picked up a roast, rubbed it with seasoning, inserted a thermometer and threw the roast into the oven at 200 degrees (the low-and-slow method seems to turn out best). 30 minutes before it was done I turned up the heat to 350 degrees and added a tray of asparagus. Meanwhile, other volunteers came by to drop off bread, dessert, and risotto.

Everyone complimented the vegetable risotto (top)
Some of the diners enjoyed the medium-rare roast very much, but several had an aversion to reddish-tinged meat; their portions had to be heated further. The volunteer coordinator apologized, but the fault was mine.

In America we take food safety for granted (maybe we shouldn't, but that is a subject for another time). I had forgotten how people who had grown up in other cultures may have had poor experiences with food that is not thoroughly cooked. Next time I'll make a stew.

At least I got to hold the baby.

No comments: