Monday, February 19, 2018

Listener-in-Chief?

A tweet from the current President about someone who could succeed him:

This weekend's WSJ profile of Oprah Winfrey shows that for all her $billions and decades in business she is innately* a kind and patient person (*people don't have to pretend when they've achieved her level of success and wealth):
[Pollster Frank] Luntz goes further. “I don’t know anyone in America who can do what she does, and that is not an exaggeration,” he says. “I’ve been doing this for 25 years, and when I hosted a similar focus group two days before the election, I lost control. She has an innate, indescribable ability to find common ground among people who would otherwise kill each other".....

Though her houses are safe havens, she does occasionally venture out to restaurants—despite the fact that “the selfie thing” has made it harder. She insists on posing for every photo fans ask for and has little patience for celebrities who complain about the imposition. “If you don’t want to be a parade, then don’t go to the parade,” she says. “I try to be kind to people because people have been so kind to me, and I know it’s the only moment that they are going to have”....

“I want to see what the right side is saying and what the left side is saying,” she says, adding that what she doesn’t do much is watch the news. “I limit my intake,” she says. “All these commentators are on, and they’re just yakety-yaking. Everybody is talking to themselves. Nobody is listening to anybody. They’re there to make their point and make their moment, and we’re actually getting nowhere. So I turn it off.”
Donald Trump called Oprah "insecure", though she's anything but. If she does run in 2020, defeating her won't be easy.

No comments: