Saturday, February 03, 2018

Caught Off Guard

Below is an internal company email exchange that I had with the "CEO" and founder of a company that I do part-time work for. Because I had let my guard down, I didn't realize that it was fake for a full day. Lesson learned--one should always be on heightened alert whenever funds are to be wired out.
------------------------------------------
"CEO": Steve, Are you at your desk right now? Kindly get back to me, as i want you to process a payment today. Kind regards,

Me: I'll login to Skype to see if you're on.

CEO: Steve, am not on Skype right now....Below is the Beneficiary details..
Wells Fargo Bank
95 Wessington Ave
Garfield , New Jersey
ABA#: 121000248
Swift : WFBIUS6S
Ac#: 128-137-0914
Name: NICOLAS TECH TRADES INC
Amount: $140,000
CEO: I want you to process this payment immediately and once it has been completed email me with the payment confirmation page ASAP...Kindly confirm the receipt of this message...

[Telephone call where the real CEO said he never sent the email and to forward him a copy.]

Me: This is what I got from "you" yesterday. If not from you, or if you meant it for someone else, I'll just delete and forget about it.

CEO: Yes it is for you..How soon can you process this?

Me: Then we need to talk.
1) What is the deal? For example is it earnest money for a transaction? Then what is the transaction?
2) If you want to use your existing business account in the other company, then you have to do it since I am not an authorized signer.
Call me on Skype, please, to talk, or on my cell.
-----------------------------------------
I immediately forwarded the email thread to Wells Fargo Bank security, but I imagine the scammers were gone. Meanwhile, Nicolas Tech Trades better not show its logo in this town again.

No comments: