Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Hope You Found Some Joy

Another school shooting (17 dead so far) has ruined this Valentine's Day. The usual questions arise: how did the gunman get his weapons, were there warnings signs (emphatically yes in his case), would mere enforcement of existing laws have prevented this horror, etc. etc.

As one who has the highest respect for the Constitution but at the same time doesn't regard the right to bear arms as essential to my being, I--and I suspect many Americans--am willing to consider drastic solutions, including a ban on gun sales and even a ban on gun ownership. I think either of those goals will be too difficult to attain, but if someone can put together a plausible plan that people will get behind, let's listen. Frankly, I think it will be easier to solve immigration or illegal drugs. [Added - 2/15: of course it's harder--a comprehensive gun ban requires an amendment to the Constitution.]

Meanwhile, I did send a bouquet to my true love, who is visiting her mother two thousand miles away. So, Happy Valentine's Day, everyone, hope you found some joy.

No comments: