Thursday, April 04, 2019

Got the Pods But Waiting for the Card

I went to the nearby Apple Store to buy a set of AirPods, Apple's wireless earbuds. At $159--the wireless-charger version is $199--they're an indulgence, especially since the new hearing aids perform a similar function.

I mentioned to the Apple salesperson that I was keenly interested in using the Apple Card, the new credit card that Tim Cook announced 11 days ago, to buy Apple products.

Unfortunately--and I hope this isn't a trend---we'll have to wait at least 3 months to get it. (We're used to the new stuff being available within a month after an Apple announcement.)
While the Apple Card will allow users to make purchases anywhere MasterCard is accepted, it’s also quite unlike many other cards available today.

Apple Card doesn’t have late fees, annual fees, international fees, or over-limit fees. And although users will be encouraged to pay their monthly statements, technically, if you want to skip a month, you can. Just be ready to pay extra interest.
I like the price--no annual fees--and better security--no credit card number or CVV imprinted on the surface.

I also like it as an Apple shareholder. [bold added]
[Wedbush analyst Dan] Ives went on to say that Apple’s clear opportunity is “tapping into its 1.4 billion active iOS devices and monetizing the financial vertical.”
BTW, I miss working full-time in the financial world; impressing people with phrases like "monetizing the financial vertical" is what made my day.

No comments: