Friday, March 27, 2020

Resentment Resurfaces

Now that I'm semi-retired I haven't needed to upgrade Microsoft's Office suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) for 12 years.

The 2008 features were sufficient for any tasks that I might undertake; besides, the data flow, logic, and organization of a project are far more important to its success than technical bells and whistles.

Earlier this month I upgraded MacOS, and old Excel wouldn't run some self-developed tax spreadsheets. Now was the time to unwrap the box of Office 365 that I got for Christmas several years ago and thought I never needed. (There are alternatives to Microsoft, by the way; Google and Apple both have competing free products that can work with Office documents.)

Memories of the Microsoft/Intel software/hardware treadmill resurfaced (the new version of the software won't work on the old chip and vice versa). In a year's time Microsoft will bill me $69.99 to renew Office, and I'll pay them because it's not worth the hassle to switch.

They know my weaknesses so well, and I resent them for it.

No comments: