Thursday, March 19, 2020

Answers Not Forthcoming

Kamala Harris, looking thoughtful (Chron photo)
An executive I used to work for always said that asking the right question is the most important step in working a project. I knew he was right, but I resented him nonetheless.

While he asked the questions, my job was to figure out the answers, which often involved a large amount of work. He was rarely helpful in helping me obtain them. Did I mention that he went to Harvard Business School?

I hadn't thought about him for 20 years, that is, until I read about California Senator Kamala Harris' questions to FEMA's Peter Gaynor:: [bold added]
Harris wanted to know how FEMA would respond if the new virus remained a major public health threat when another potential emergency, including a California wildfire or earthquake, arises.

She is keenly aware that major fires often force people into packed evacuation shelters, which would currently conflict with the government’s efforts to encourage social distancing and prevent people from gathering large groups.

“So I asked him, what is the plan? Is there a formal policy to address this issue?” Harris told The Chronicle. “And he basically said ‘We’re learning as we go’ and ‘This has never happened before.’”
What should we do if an earthquake hits in the midst of a coronavirus lockdown? After saying "we’re screwed", my answer would have been "you're on your own and don't count on the government to save you."

I considered working for the public sector at one time but didn't think there was a good fit. Was I right?

No comments: