Saturday, October 31, 2020

Knowing What I Know Now, I'd Still Take the Shot

Yesterday I got my flu shot at the Costco Pharmacy.

That's not newsworthy, of course, but it is unusual for me to get it this early in the season. I often skip the shot or get it in the winter because the flu does not normally affect me greatly, and the injection is only about 50% effective anyway. But these days one must be extra cautious and extra diligent.

I was out of sorts today with a fever (101 °F) and mild aches and pains. Thankfully, there were no breathing or gastrointestinal problems, which are other signs of the coronavirus. I'm hoping they are just a reaction to the shot.

This actually been the healthiest year in memory. Mask-wearing, social distancing, and limited interactions with non-family members have kept sickness at bay.

Getting a flu shot, IMHO, is worth the downside risk of a reaction. One doesn't want to get both the flu and the coronavirus, as one unfortunate person did in Solano County.
The first known case in the Bay Area of a dual coronavirus-influenza infection was confirmed Thursday in Solano County, prompting health officials to urge residents to hurry up and get flu shots and double down on social distancing and mask wearing.

The Solano County Department of Health and Social Services described the unlucky patient as an otherwise healthy individual under the age of 65, but the county did not release any personal information.

Bela Matyas, the Solano County health officer, said the victim is older than 20, works in the “health care realm” and appears to have recovered from the co-infection.
Happy Halloween!

No comments: