Tuesday, March 30, 2021

A Great Country

4th St: wide open road
Traffic was heavy coming off the freeway yesterday, but after cars scattered to their destinations it was apparent that San Francisco streets were still much emptier than 2019.

I parked at the 5th and Mission garage and walked down 4th to the Moscone Center.

It was time for my second Pfizer injection.

There was no line at the entrance. I showed the guard my ID and vaccination card that was received three weeks ago.

March 29: empty compared to March 9th
It had Monday's appointment inscribed on the back, and he waved me right in.

There were a dozen kiosks ready to register people, but only three were busy.

The lady checked the information on the ID, saw it agreed with the 2:30 appointment, and pointed politely to the escalator.

None of the stanchions used to manage crowds were necessary today. I walked straight to the main convention floor.

Line on March 9th
Over a hundred chairs were set up in the pre-injection waiting area, but none were in use.

I went right to an injection station, where for the third time I had to show my ID. Then I had to answer a raft of questions ("do you have COVID-19", "have you been sick recently", etc.) where "no" was clearly the right answer.

To save trouble I thought about lying when the technician asked if I had ever had an allergic reaction to an injection.

The golden ticket
Yes, I admitted, I did have a reaction 15 years ago when a nurse accidentally mixed too strong an antigen into the solution. I have since gotten monthly injections without incident.

Whether it was because I sounded sincere or because I threw out the word "antigen" (in my ratty attire, she did look surprised) or because it was just normal protocol, I'll never know, but I got the shot and waited 15 minutes like everyone else.

It only cost a few bucks in gas and parking, some soreness in the arm and a mild headache, but now I have protection against the virus that has put the world on hold for a year.

Krispy Kreme: 1 free doughnut (WSJ)
As an added bonus, the vaccination card is a golden ticket to wonderful promotions and discounts.
The push to get shots in arms has morphed into a kind of freebie frenzy, with businesses ranging from marijuana dispensaries to arcades promoting giveaways. The companies say the idea is to support the country’s vaccination program at a critical time during its rollout—and if a side effect is a boost for business, all the better.
Is this a great country or what?

No comments: