Thursday, March 10, 2022

Landing Ritual

My brother and I resumed our habit of stopping at the Mini Garden restaurant on the way home from the Honolulu airport. Except for the masked waitress, there were no signs of the reason that we had not been able to visit for nearly three years.

My brother usually orders a tendon dish
The three other parties--one a table of ten--all were engaged in animated conversations with nary a face covering in sight.

The menu prices were significantly higher; it cost $41 for two lunches plus one take-out to bring to Mom later.

I gave the waitress $50, and she asked if I wanted change. I had been thinking about leaving her all of it, but that presumptuous question quelled my generosity. Two dollars were removed from the nine on general principle.

The ingredients were fresh, the food was hot, and the ambience was good. Mini Garden after the airport is one ritual we'll keep intact.

No comments: