Sunday, May 15, 2022

The Grace of God

(LA Times photo)
The Coastal fire in Laguna Niguel is nearly contained, and no more houses have been destroyed since Thursday.

My brother, his family and home are safe; they're lucky to have been spared despite living close enough to the flames that a change in the wind would have put them in danger.

Every year wildfires have destroyed hundreds of California homes.

Whether the structures are big or small, on the top of the hill or on the flatlands, very expensive or less expensive (none are cheap), the faces of the displaced are the same.

(LA Times photo)
Years of scrimping and saving, getting a place just the way they wanted it, and building memories with people they'll never see again, are gone in the billowing smoke.

The circumstances aren't that different that I can't imagine their misfortune happening to me.

I think, there but for the grace of God go I.

No comments: